Created, based on an original recipe by Carrie Brown
Prep time: 10 mins, Cook time: 10-15 mins, Total time: 20-30 mins
Serves: 8-12, depending on size of cutter
- 255g (9 oz) almond flour, (finely ground, and blanched, almond meal will work too)
- 2 tbsp xylitol or equivalent
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- .5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp mixed spice
- 57g (2 oz) butter
- 100g (3.5 oz) dried currants
- Rind of one orange
- .5 rind of one lemon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 T orange juice
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Put almond flour, xylitol, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, spice and butter in a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Turn into bowl, add currants and orange and lemon rind; mix.
- Beat egg with orange juice and add to bowl.
- Mix well until a dough forms.
- Knead dough lightly on an almond floured surface.
- Roll out dough to ½” thick and cut out scones with a biscuit/round cutter.
- Place on baking sheet and brush with a beaten egg.
- Bake at 200C (400F) for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.