Grain-free French-style Apple Cake
I’ve used metric measurements for this recipe
• 850gm (1½ pounds) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced ~2mm (⅛ inch) thick crosswise, either with a mandolin or a food processor with a blade slicer (easiest method)
• 1 tablespoon brandy
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• ¾ cup, plus 2 tablespoons grain free flour blend, see below*
• ¼ cup almond flour
• 1 cup, plus 1.5 tablespoons caster (fine) sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon xanthan gum, omit if your flour blend already contains it
• 1 large egg plus 2 large yolks
• 1 cup canola oil
• 1 cup whole milk, or dairy free milk of your choosing (I use dairy)
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven and set the temperature to 160C (325F) degrees. Spray a 24cm (9-inch) springform pan with cooking spray, then place the pan on a foil lined, rimed baking sheet.
2. Place apple slices on a microwave safe plate or pie dish, cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until apples are slightly tender and pliable. Drizzle with brandy and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes.
3. Place ¾ cup of flour blend, extra almond flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add one egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth but don’t over mix or the xanthan gum will stiffen the batter too much . Scoop out one cup of the batter and place in another medium bowl.
4. Add egg yolks to the larger portion of the batter and whisk to combine. Fold in the cooled apple slices and pour mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset (or rubber) spatula.
5. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons of grain-free flour blend into the remaining batter and smooth batter evenly over the apple mixture in the pan, taking care to spread it all the way to the edges.
6. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1.5 tablespoons of sugar and bake until the centre of the cake is set, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
7. Transfer pan to a wire rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake along the sides of the pan and let cool completely, about 2 hours more (if you can). Cut into wedges and serve.
*Grain-free Flour Blend
237gm organic coconut flour (or best quality available)
237gm organic blanched almond flour (or best quality available blanched almond flour)
118ml arrowroot flour/starch, also known as tapioca flour/starch
Mix well and use in place of gluten free flour quantities, but less if replacing wheat flour. Amounts will depend on recipe and other ingredients, some trial and error is involved! This mixture is generally a little drier but heavier than all purpose flour.