Grain-free grilled cheese
Yield: 1 sandwich (small but filling)
• 2 US tablespoons (15ml ea) salted butter, divided (30ml total, not 40ml, as would be with metric equivalents)
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon coconut flour (I use a ‘scant’ tbsp due to metric measuring)
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• 1 slice (1 oz) sharp cheddar cheese (use good cheese!)
1. In a microwave-safe small bowl or a 4 inch or 10cm ramekin (my preference), add half the butter (~1tbsp). Melt in the microwave on high, about 45 seconds.
2. Allow the butter to slightly cool, then use a fork to mix in the egg, coconut flour and baking powder, until very smooth. This will take a little stirring, don’t be impatient or you will end up with little lumps of baking powder undissolved.
3. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Bread will puff up while “baking,” then deflate a little. Take it from the oven, let cool for a minute, then turn out onto a plate or cutting board. If necessary, run a knife around the outside of it to loosen from the dish. I never need to do this, but you might. When done, it will look like a spongy muffin.
4. Slice crosswise into two slices. Place the cheese on one of the slices, and top with the other slice.
5. In a small nonstick skillet, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the sandwich. Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side, pressing on it with a spatula to flatten as it cooks.